The Parish Pastoral Worker works in partnership with the priests and pastoral council of a parish or group of parishes in the 4 areas of:
Educating – Promoting lifelong learning in the Catholic tradition and in Christian living. Typical tasks include:
- Proclaiming Christ and witnessing to him in their own lives
- Sharing in the work of evangelisation to promote a living relationship with Jesus Christ for all
- Co-ordinating faith development initiatives
- Promoting understanding of the Church and its mission
- Providing opportunities for various people to deepen their understanding of their Catholic faith
- Contributing to sacramental preparation programmes.
Praying – Enhancing the prayer and worship of the parish community Typical tasks include:
- Facilitating the full, active and conscious participation of all the faithful in liturgical celebrations
- Enriching parish liturgical and sacramental celebrations especially the Sunday Eucharist
- Developing appropriate para-liturgy,
- Working with teachers to resource prayer and liturgy in the parish schools
- Supporting family prayer
Animating – As a lay Catholic, bearing witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ and encouraging involvement in existing and new initiatives expressing the mission of the Church today. Typical tasks include:
- Encouraging and supporting other lay people in living their faith in the precise circumstances of their lives
- Reaching out in welcome to newcomers, to those disconnected from Jesus and the Church and to those marginalised by society
- Working with Parish Pastoral Council in fulfilling its mission.
- Contributing to ecumenical and inter-religious encounter
Relating – Building community through quality relationships and pastoral care. Typical tasks include:
- Serving as an ex-officio member of the Parish Pastoral Council
- Being available and ‘present’ to individuals and their needs especially the lonely, the sick and the bereaved.
- Supporting and nurturing parish groups especially those engaged in Catholic action and in lay liturgical ministries.
- Participating in home visitation and working with parents and families
- Building links between home, school and parish